Friday, January 21, 2011

Oh Bother

Today is discharge day . . . but not for our little guy. I am not surprised, but I am a little disappointed. There is a guest room available to me for tonight so I will stay at the hospital with him for at least one more night. He is doing well. They mostly want to keep him for observation since his blood sugars have not completely stabilized and infection is still a threat. Oh boy does he look handsome! He reminds me of a little turtle the way he stretches his neck up and squints at me. I love this kid.

The nurses are taking good care of him. They love his chubby cheeks too:) One silver lining to having babies with these issues is I get to avoid the meconium diapers. After two kids I have changed only one of those tarry beauties. A task I am okay with missing out on.
Brian and Ellie brought some treats to share with me last night. I miss my little girl but she is having the time of her life with dad. She got to meet Henry once before they took him into the nursery. It was such a sweet moment. She wasn't surprised in the least to see baby brother in my arms. She hopped right up on the bed and started talking to him and commenting on his diaper, ears, nose, hands and everything else she could pull out of her vocabulary. Since then she has been a little upset that he hasn't been here with me. Sadly, but understandably, she is not allowed in the NYI.Thanks Jen and Nathan for the 'big sister' present. It has kept her occupied while Brian gets daddy-time with his boy.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Holy Smokes you are brave to go unmedicated. I don't know if I have it in me. But congratulations! He is absolutely adorable! I hope he gets to come home soon and I hope your adjustment to two goes well.

Emily said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that you made it to the hospital in time. And amazed that you went un-medicated.... you always were tougher than me! I'll have to plan a trip to SLC in the near future to come and visit. I am just so excited for you! I hope Henry stabilizes soon and can come home.

Emily Jane said...

You guys are too nice. But you shouldn't be too impressed with the unmedicated part. They couldn't have given me an epidural even if I had wanted it. It was fast and intense and I am so glad I did it, but I'm not sure how well I would do through a longer labor.