Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In case you were curious . . .


I've had a few people ask or comment on Ellie's 'strawberry kiss' on her right cheek. It appeared when she was about 3 weeks old. It is called an hemangioma -- I had never heard or seen (at least noticed) these before. Apparently it is most common in girls and/or preemies. It is a bunch of capillary-like cells just under the skin. At about 12 months it will begin to fade and should be completely gone at 2 years (sometimes it takes longer).

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Kate had one of these as well. Right under her nose and above her lip. It has mostly disapeared now except for when she has a little too much sun or cries. I think they are cute little imperfections

Heidi said...

Jenna has one too. I don't know if I ever pointed it out to you. It is quite large, like the size of a 50 cent piece on her ankle. It's looking really good now.